With a degree in voice and piano from the Conservatoire Supérieur de Musique of Geneva and a Bachelor’s Degree in Musicology and German literature, Richard Rittelmann began his career at the age of 22 at the Opéra National de Lyon in the new production of Doktor Faust under the baton of Kent Nagano. He has also been a prizewinner at various international competitions such as the Voix d Or, Toulouse, Marmande, Eurobottega and Voix Nouvelles in Paris.This proved to be an important launchpad for his career,
His eclectic discography covers an impressive range of repertoire, stretching from baroque : Monteverdi’s Ulysses and Vivaldi’s Kyrie (CD Mondomusica), to classic and romantic: Massenet’s Le Jongleur de Notre Dame with the Orchestre de Montpellier conducted by Enrique Diemecke (CD Deutsche Grammophon), and also to 20th century and contemporary repertoire: ‘Kagel Dirige Kagel’ with soloists from Lyon Bernard Tétu (CD Auvidis), Doktor Faust conducted by Kent Nagano (CD Erato), ‘Un Portrait de Raoul Lay’ with the Ensemble Télémaque (CD Harmonia Mundi). Other recordings include: the world premiere of F. Testi’s Saül with the Orchestre Philharmonique de Radio-France conducted by M. Zanetti (CD Naïve), the world premiere of ‘Dernier Jour d’un Condamné’ with the Orchestre d’Ile de France conducted by Michel Plasson (CD Deutsche Grammophon), world premiere of Heera Kim’s Ex Abrupto with the Bayerische Rundfunk in Munich conducted by Arturo Tamajo (CD Musica Viva), recording of the G. de Olavide’s oeuvre under the baton of Arturo Tamayo with the Orchestre de la RTVE de Madrid (CD Verso).
His most memorable interpretations of roles include in Idomeneo (Ivan Fischer) at the Opéra Garnier de Paris, in Ariadne auf Naxos at the Opéra de Nice (Riber-Schnitzler), in Werther (Alain Guingal) at the Regio Torino, in Cyrano de Bergerac de Alfano in Montpellier / Monte Carlo and la Maestranza (Guidarini/Alagna), in Manon at Hong Kong Opera (Nicola Colabianchi – Nadine Duffault), in les Dialogues des Carmélites at the Opéra de Nice (Michel Plasson – Carsen)…
He sostituted Erwin Schrott at the last minute in Le Dernier Jour d’un Condamné in February 2008, singing 4 parts at the Palau de les Arts de Valencia (Villard – Alagna).He has sung in Faust at the teatro Massimo alongside Bocelli, Voulgaridou, Scandiuzzi under the baton of Michel Plasson (with CD release).
Every summer he conducts several masterclasses in la Baule where he is developing an operatic class.
He is a close friend of Roberto Alagna and has recorded more than 4 titles for Deutsche Grammophon-Universal with him.
Winner of the ARMEL / ARTE competition in 2014 in Budapest, in Vienna, in Sir Harrison Birtwistle’s Punch and Judy,
At the beginning of the new season Richard Rittelmann sang in a recital at the Festival Poulenc with Franck Villard ,in the Merry Widow at the opera of Nice conducted by Philippe Auguin , in a concert Richard Strauss with Silvia Sass in Rome and in Turandot conducted by Roland Boer , Ludwig in the saint Elizabeth‘s Legend ( Liszt ) in Lisboa with Carole Sidney conducted by Arturo Tamayo…; Schoenberg Serenade at the national radio in Lugano and at Schoenberg Centre in Vienna conducted by Arturo Tamayo , Figlia del Reggimento at the Teatro Nuovo of Torino conducted by Michele Spotti.
In his next projects season 2015/2016
- Piccolo Principe ( worldwide creation ) composed by Alberto Caruso and staged by Mario Acampa at the Teatro Carignano in Turin.
- Monsieur Chouxfleuri and Pomme d Api ( Offenbach ) at the Summer Festival in Geneva conducted by Franco Trinca.
- Les Nuits lyriques du château de Thuerry , 2 récitals with Francois René Duchable et Sandrine Sutter.
- Chanson Gitane ( Maurice Yvain ) at the Festival of Operetta in Nice
- The boy who grew too fast ( Menotti ) at the Golden Gate Opera – California
- Tour with the Orchestra for the peace with Amira Selim conducted by Nader Abbassi at Geneva ONU .
- Constellation ( Hugh Levick ) at Radio France Paris with CD recording
- Tour of Faure ‘ s Requiem with the Orchester of Bretagne
- Il Babiere di Siviglia at the Opera of Nice & recital Korngold Strauss and opera arias.
- Punch and Judy at the Opéra of Avignon conducted by Walter Kobera
- Carmen with Roberto Alagna at the stadium Allianz in Nice
He works regularly with Madame Sylvia Sass on vocal technique and Mari Lorila and Paolo Grosa for coaching.